Skip to main content

Trump administration grants work permits to thousands of illegal immigrants



 A young boy with his mother attend a rally in front of the White House in February organized by United We Dream, an immigrant youth-led organization protesting raids nationwide.
Tens of thousands of undocumented immigrants have been granted work permits by the Trump administration under an Obama-era deferred-action program that President Trump had promised to end on his first day in office, according to federal data.

Trump had called the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program an “unconstitutional executive amnesty” during his campaign. But statistics from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services released last week showed that more than 17,000 new DACA applicants were approved for the program in the first three months of 2017.

Subscribe to the Post’s Today's Headlines newsletter: All the top stories of the day - local, national and global.

In addition, more 107,000 immigrants already enrolled in DACA had their two-year work permits renewed during that time, which includes the final 20 days of President Barack Obama’s tenure in January.

The new figures make clear that the deferred-action program for immigrants brought to the country illegally as children — often known as “dreamers” — has continued at a robust pace under Trump. This comes despite concerns from some immigrant advocates that the administration would start targeting work permit-holders for deportations.

Trump has waffled on DACA since taking office. In April, he told the Associated Press that dreamers should “rest easy” and not fear deportation. But his failure to follow through on a key pledge to voters has angered immigration hawks.




Trump waves and walks back to the Oval Office after a ceremony on the South Lawn to honor the 2016 NCAA football champions, the Clemson University Tigers, on Monday.
“It’s a violation of a campaign promise,” said Dale Jackson, a conservative radio host in Huntsville, Ala., who asked White House press secretary Sean Spicer in February why Trump had not ended the program.

Jackson emphasized that unlike some of Trump’s other promises, such as repealing the Affordable Care Act or building a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border wall, the president could halt the issuance of work permits through executive decree without congressional approval.

“This is completely within his singular power to do by himself,” he said. “There’s no rationalization I can come up with. The guy said one thing during the campaign and he’s outright not doing it.”

A White House spokesman did not respond to requests for comment Monday.

Trump has touted successes in his efforts to get tougher on undocumented immigrants, including a significant drop in the number of people trying to enter the United States illegally from Mexico. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents have ramped up arrests of illegal immigrants under new guidelines from the administration that broaden the pool of people identified as a priority for removal.

“While we still welcome legal immigrants to tune of 1 million a year, we are no longer a friendly environment for illegal border-crossers,” Homeland Security Secretary John F. Kelly said during a Cabinet meeting with Trump at the White House on Monday.

But the DACA program, which Obama instituted through executive action in 2012, is popular among Latino and Asian communities and has presented a political conundrum for Trump.

More than 750,000 immigrants have participated, and Obama emphasized the program’s value to Trump in a meeting at the White House after the election. Obama told reporters that he would speak out if the new administration attempted to deport dreamers.

Since then, there have been a handful of highly publicized arrests of dreamers that have raised fears among immigrant rights groups. In some cases, the immigrants had allowed their DACA standing to lapse before their ­arrests.

On Monday, a federal judge in Atlanta ordered that a Mexican woman living in Georgia, Jessica Colotl, be temporarily reinstated in DACA after the Trump administration attempted to place her in deportation proceedings because of a 2010 traffic stop.

Her attorney, Charles Kuck, said in an interview that he thinks cases such as hers are “outliers” and that “it appears nothing has changed in the processing” of DACA applications.He added that he has filed about 100 applications for clients trying to enroll in the program or renew their DACA standing since Trump took office.

Immigration hard-liners said Trump, with his inaction, now shares ownership of the deferred-action program with Obama. Roy Beck, executive director of Numbers USA, a group that advocates for lower immigration levels, said Trump’s inaction is denying jobs to native-born workers.

“This is not a symbolic thing; this has real consequences,” said Beck, whose organization has more than 7 million followers on Facebook. “There’s a sense that he believes it’s almost okay not to act. The trouble is, there’s no neutral position in this.”

Comments

Trending

Bitcoin bulls runs wild as cryptocurrency surges above $3,000

Bitcoin (BTC=-USS)traded above $3,000 for the first time on Sunday, continuing this year's massive surge and helped by increased demand from Asia-based investors. EARN 100% FREE BTC, CLUCK TO KNOW HOW. . After trading in a range for the last week, bitcoin climbed to an all-time high Sunday of $3,012.05, according to CoinDesk. On Chinese exchanges such as BTCC, the currency traded about $40 to $60 above that price. Last week, several major Chinese bitcoin exchanges allowed customers to resume withdrawals of the cryptocurrency, after halting withdrawals in early February amid scrutiny from the People's Bank of China. The digital currency has had a stellar year, rising nearly 200 percent and easily outperforming stock market benchmarks like the S&P 500 (.SPX) Index and the Nasdaq composite (.IXIC) in 2017. The cryptocurrency has now more than tripled in value since trading at $968 on Dec. 31, and has gained nearly 30 percent in June alone. Bitcoin in 2017 ...

REMEMBERING PULSE

UCF invites the community to campus on June 8 to honor and remember the 49 lives taken at Pulse. Below is a message from UCF President John C. Hitt detailing how the university will mark the one-year remembrance. Nearly one year ago, our vibrant, welcoming city was attacked in an act of hate. On June 12, 2016, a senseless act of violence at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando killed 49 people, including two members of the UCF family, student Juan Ramon Guerrero and alumnus Christopher Andrew Leinonen. In the aftermath of terror, an outpouring of kindness and support united our community. It is in that spirit that UCF prepares to remember Pulse on June 8 with a day of reflection, giving back, and coming together. We chose June 8 for our events to allow our community to attend City of Orlando and Orange County Government remembrances on June 12. June 8, titled “UCF Remembers … 6.12.16,” will include: “Reflections on Pulse” will be an opportunity to create art and share tri...

Steve Harvey to Flint Man: ‘Enjoy Your Nice Brown Glass of Water’

Steve Harvey to Flint Man: ‘Enjoy Your Nice Brown Glass of Water’ 1 / 17 TheWrap Reid Nakamura 3 hrs ago SHARE © Provided by The Wrap News, Inc. Steve Harvey Miss Universe Steve Harvey has come under fire for a joke about the Flint water crisis on his morning radio talk show on Wednesday. Harvey took a call on the "The Steve Harvey Morning Show" in which he discussed the Cleveland Cavaliers' loss to the Golden State Warriors in the NBA finals. During the call, Harvey brought up the caller's hometown of Flint, Michigan and its contaminated water. "You from Flint?" Harvey asked, according to the Detroit Free Press. "That's why y'all ain't even got clean water. When was the last time you touched water and it didn't have lead in it?" "I wasn't talking about the city of Flint, I was talking about him," Harvey reportedly said later in the call. "He going to call in, say Cleveland don't deserve jack,...